How can we help you?

What is the difference between Section 8 and Section 21?


The easiest way to explain the difference between a Section 8 and Section 21 is that a Section 8 is used to evict your tenant when a tenant is in breach of their contract (e.g. by sub-letting the property without the landlord's consent, or generally failing to meet the terms laid out in the tenancy agreement). A Section 21 on the other hand, is served to end a tenancy agreement simply so that the landlord can regain possession. The tenant does not have to be in breach of their rental contract for a landlord to serve a Section 21 notice.

It is often easier to serve a Section 21 notice because the process for a Section 8 can be costly for the landlord and any grounds you give for the eviction can be contested by the tenant.

Regarding a Section 21 Notice, since 1st October 2015 there are a number of new requirements that must be met to successfully serve a Section 21 Notice.
You must provide your tenants with the following documents at the start of the tenancy:

  • An AST Agreement
  • A valid Gas Safety Certificate (CP12)
  • A copy of the Energy Performance Certificate
  • A copy of the Government's 'How To Rent' Guide

If you have not provided your tenants with all of the above documents, you may not be able to serve a Section 21 Notice to your tenants. is a property marketplace that allows agents and individuals to list their homes to let and for sale for free. All landlords are verified to ensure that they own the property they are advertising with us.

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful


Powered by Zendesk